Saturday, February 1, 2014

A whole lot of newness

 

Happy New Year!!!

Ok. So I have never been the best at hitting at the nail on the head when it comes to New Year, I have always been a bit slower on the uptake and this year is no exception to that rule.

So, it's already February and I'm wondering where the time has gone? Wasn't it just Christmas? Good grief!

But I forgive myself (for once) because life has certainly been a crazy mish-mash of newness at every turn; immigrating to a new country, on a new continent, in a new hemisphere will do that to you!

Getting used to life in beautiful Surrey has been interesting, gut-wrenching, uplifting, terrifying and totally satisfying all at once. The tough bits are all about missing home, about looking out the window to face yet another day of drizzle, about craving an Ouma rusk with every fibre of my being, about wanting to reach out and realising the person I want to reach out to is not just down the road anymore. Yes, there have been tears.

But then I am faced with the glorious bits; driving through the countryside past farms and tiny villages to drop my children at their respective schools, really being dumbfounded at the prettiness that reveals itself around every corner, being pleasantly startled at how well the bureaucratic machine turns in this first world country, and of course... the children.

I am so stinking proud of my boys. Harlan has been a champion of a boy, walking into his new school and settling in with such bravery despite the fact that I know it was difficult for him. I know he was scared, I know he was nervous, I know he wished he didn't have to do it, but he did and he's happy now and I am one proud mama.

Malakai's school has been incredible, gently guiding and supporting him through the process of settling in. He has made incredible strides in understanding a whole new system and has gone from being allowed to run amok to sitting in his class alongside his classmates. This may sound small, but in Special Needs Parenting Land, this tiny step takes on Epic Proportions, trust me... I am so stupendously happy with this school that I actually find it difficult to put into words what they are doing for him... and in turn, for me.

So yes, I am a bit late for the New Year. But trust me, the New Year has been the last thing on my mind. Now that I'm all caught up and officially residing in 2014 in both body AND mind I am looking forward to everything it has to bring.

Photo credit: www.surreyhills.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it will be posted shortly ;)