Thursday, March 6, 2014

For what it's worth


This whole thing? Moving my family to another country in another hemisphere. Leaving everything we know behind… is it worth it?

                This has been the most difficult thing I have ever done in my whole life. Difficult in ways that I cannot even describe in writing – or rather in ways that I don’t want to revisit through writing. But the short answer is Hell Yes.

                If I have to start describing how amazing Malakai’s school is, and how wonderful Harlan’s preschool is – I could carry on for days. At times the attention that Malakai receives, the effort that is made for him by people that are essentially total strangers – it’s overwhelming. I cannot believe that they would do so much for him and for us? And why don’t I believe it? I don’t know why – is it the way I was raised, the country I’m from, my experience thus far? Is it because in South Africa I had total control of his therapies and interventions and here I have no control, so I have to allow others to do what I cannot do? Perhaps…

                But it is just incredible.

                Malakai has a class teacher and teaching assistant, but then he also has three support workers who work at different times of the day and week so that he has constant one-on-one attention. His class teacher plans his lessons and the support workers implement it. Malakai has his own work station and they give him a very visual approach to learning. He spends as much time as possible with the other children in the class and has made friends! There is Hassim and Joe, Lilly and Milly, Maya and Henry, Tom and Ben… We even went to a birthday party last week (Henry’s) which was awesome! A few times in the last week Malakai has walked his friends (usually Lilly or Milly) to their car holding hands. I mean seriously!!!! I can die from the cute-factor!

                As for academics, Malakai can now write all his numbers and has learned to recognise, say and sound out M, S & N. They sing with him. Dance with him. Read with him. Exercise with him. Laugh with him. Love him. Accept him. Want him… and it feels so good it hurts.

                As for Harlan – who unfortunately tends to take a back seat in this blog, but definitely not in real life I promise! – he has made me so proud. He has walked into a new preschool, filled with new kids who speak a little funny and eat a little funny. He has done all this in a way that the teachers have asked, “And you said Harlan was shy?” and I know he’s shy! Believe me! He’s been so brave, so smart, so wonderful. Have I said yet how proud I am of him? It has not been easy for any of us, but I think least of all Harlan, and he has really been a brave, brave boy.

                So, yes. It’s been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it will be posted shortly ;)