Thursday, August 29, 2013

Someone please report me!

I am probably going to come to regret writing this post, but hey... what is blogging if it isn't an honest look at a person's life? And, in the interests of letting other mothers know that they are certainly not alone, it is my obligation to be as open as possible - not only about the good, but about the bad as well...

This morning was one such day. You know the days when you feel like you've simply lost any and all control over your children? That you've failed miserably and you're up the proverbial discipline creek without a paddle?

What started off as a good day - and by that I mean I managed to dress Harlan without a temper tantrum (10 stars for mommy!), and off to Speech Therapy we went (our usual Thursday morning appointment for the past... oh I dunno... 4 years!).

All the therapist wants from me is five uninterrupted minutes at the end of the session to discuss Malakai's progress and our work for the week ahead, but no. The boys will not let me have 5 minutes, or even 15 seconds for that matter! They run around her room, screaming, unpacking her handbag under her desk (gasp!), trying to escape out the door, the window, climbing the ceiling... whatever they can manage to achieve.

And I try everything (as I do... every Thursday) to keep them quiet. But no. There is nothing like two children who for all intents and purposes seem to have been raised by wolves, running around a therapy room totally oblivious to their mother's pleas for them to sit for. just. a. minute.

Eventually I am dragged out of the place, waving a hasty goodbye to the therapist, and we hop in the car for the 3 minute drive to creche. There the boys run off into the playground (the opposite direction of the classes) and I am left to chase after them in my very unflattering way...

I can carry on but whatever - I am sure you get the picture.

It is on days like these that I wonder if I'm the worst mother alive, totally incapable of rendering to the world well-behaved children? I wonder if I should report myself to child services for the obviously terrible job I'm doing?

There are days like these for every mother I suppose - and today happens to be my turn. I wonder if all my hard work and hours of negotiating, time outs, and putting boundaries into place has made any difference? Do my boys actually care? Not today quite obviously.

So I sit and wonder and think and plan... how am I going to do this differently? How on earth will I get my children to listen? Will I ever feel like a good mom again? And I know I will, I am sure I will, but for now I want to weep a bit into my extra-strong cup of coffee and wallow happily in the silence while my boys are at creche.

No witty solutions. No happy endings. The end (for today).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it will be posted shortly ;)